Saturday, December 7, 2013

Kindness for Sandy Hook


As educators, we remember and honor our fallen colleagues and their students from Sandy Hook School. We honor them each day in our classrooms in which we continue their dream of teaching our children. We honor their memory with our service. Join with teachers everywhere in committing random acts of kindness to show our love for Sandy Hook.


It's really hard to put into words anything that I want to say right now.  It's hard to believe it's almost been a year since the horrific tragedy in Newtown yet it's still so fresh in my mind.  The saddness, the anger, the questions.  Why such innocent babies and the teachers who fought to protect them?  I remember crying as I saw the faces of the teachers and children on the news.  I remember thinking about my own class and being thankful that they were all safe, well and that I wouldn't have to fight off any tears on Monday (we had just been dismissed for our 3 week holiday break) as I thought about the little ones in Newtown that didn't make it to school that day, who wouldn't make it...ever again.  I remember crying with staff at our staff meeting on Monday as we took a moment of silence to honor everyone at Sandy Hook and reassuring each other that we would protect our students, some of them our staffs, just like Rachel, Dawn, Anne Marie, Lauren, Mary, and Victoria did.  And most of all, I remember writing an email to the parents of my students, promising them that I too, would die protecting their child because they were like my own and asking them to give their child a hug from me- tears in my eyes as I pressed send.

With the one year anniversary coming up this Saturday, December 14th.. the Mayor and citizens of Newtown have asked people to commit random acts of kindness to honor the teachers and students who we lost this day.  I can't imagine honoring them any better way than showing people that we care and that our hearts are full of love. 

 The blogging community is asking that you join in honoring our fallen heroes and children this Saturday.  Spread the word, Let's make this day Powerful ,  let's make it a day of LOVE, remembrance of the joy that all of these wonderful adults and children brought to the lives of many, and thankfulness...thankful for life, for what we have, and the power to change lives, and hope for the future.  #love4SH

No comments:

Post a Comment